Module 24 : Involving local human health staff in iSIKHNAS
Some kabupaten have expressed interest in being able to use iSIKHNAS to keep local human health and welfare staff informed about suspected zoonotic events reported in villages. iSIKHNAS can include human health staff in the automatic alerts whenever there is a suspected case of a zoonosis in your area. This module provides advice as to how your Kabupaten Coordinator can do this simply.
Obviously, there will be some important things to consider, including
- kepala support for such collaboration,
- willingness and agreement for collaboration between human and animal health staff,
- good understanding of what the iSIKHNAS alert reports actually mean,
- understanding eachother's "standard operating procedures" in the event of a suspected case of a zoonotic disease,
Human health staff new to iSIKHNAS will almost certainly appreciate an introduction or overview of the system and where reporting of zoonotic disease fits in to the whole system. They will also need to define the staff's "work location" and "area of responsibility" as we do for any new person registered to the system.
Human health staff should be registered as
After agreement at senior level, register the human health staff nominated to participate.
- Make sure their user type is registered as 16 Kesehatan,
- Accurately provide their work location and their area of responsibility,
- Enter all details fully and accurately,
- Check their individual user settings to make sure they will receive the correct alerts for zoonoses.
- Make sure all the staff involved - animal and human - are confident and comfortable with how their participation in this collaborative activity will work, of how the alerts will work and what the protocols for each group might be.
You may also want to nominate a staff liaison officer if you haven't already got one - someone amongst your animal health staff who is willing and interested to maintain good communication between the two staff groups.
This collaboration is perhaps your kabupaten's first step towards giving even greater service to the whole community through involvement with iSIKHNAS.
Let us know how it works out for you - we'd love to hear your stories.