User registration by email spreadsheet upload/en
User registration by email spreadsheet upload
There are several ways to register new users on the iSIKHNAS system, including via SMS, Instant Messaging (IM) and the Web interface. All these methods create one user at a time and are suitable for individual or small numbers of users.
However, many users are registered for the first time during their first training course. At a training course, there are usually many users to register at the start of the course, and doing them one by one takes a great deal of time.
This page describes how to register many users at once, by entering their data into a spreadsheet, and then sending the spreadsheet by email to the iSIKHNAS web site.
There are several steps required to prepare for the bulk spreadsheet registration:
- Register the training course on the iSIKHNAS web site (Manage | Training Courses) specifying the topic, duration, location and area from which participants will be drawn.
- You will need 2 spreadsheets: the Reference spreadsheet (with codes) and the Template spreadsheet for data entry.
- Download the Reference spreadsheet containing the codes used to simplify data entry (location and user-type codes)
- Download a copy of the User Registration Template spreadshet (a .XLSX file)
- Save both the spreadsheets (reference and template) in the same directory.
- Open both the spreadsheets
- Enter the registration data for all the users, copying and pasting where it makes things faster and easier
- Save the Registration data
- Email it to iSIKHNAS
Registering the training course on the iSIKHNAS web site
This feature has not yet been completed. More detail will be provdided soon.
The Reference spreadsheet
This spreadsheet provides lookup values to make data entry faster and easier using the Template spreadsheet. The Reference spreadsheet is customised for each training course, so that the locations and areas of responsibility of the participants can picked from drop-down lists.
To generate your custom Reference spreadsheet, log on to the iSIKHNAS web site, then go to Manage | Download Standards.
Note: This is currently called 'Download Laboratory Standards'
On the screen:
- Choose 'Training Course Registration' from the drop-down list
- Choose your training course from the list
Note: The training course list is not yet developed. For the moment, choose some infrastructure (a laboratory) that has the same area of responsibility as the training course area.
- Click OK, and the standards spreadsheet will be emailed to you in a few moments.
- Save the Standards spreadsheet without changing its name into a directory and remember where you saved it. It must be in the same directory as the Template spreadsheet.
The Template spreadsheet
- Download the Template spreadsheet
- Save it in the same directory as the Standards spreadsheet
- You can rename the Template spreadsheet to any name you want, for example the name of the training course.
You enter data into the Template spreadsheet, but you must have the Reference spreadsheet open in Excel at the same time.
- Open MS Excel
- Open the Reference spreadsheet
- Open the Template spreadsheet
You are now ready to start entering data on the users at the course
Each user is entered on one row, with the different details in different columns. Some columns are controlled so you can only enter values from the drop down pick lists. Others are formulae and are calculated automatically. The data for each of the columns is:
- ID Pelatihan: the course ID as shown when you created the course on the iSIKHNAS web site.
Note. This is not yet implemented so leave this column empty
- Nama depan: first name. Please use proper capitalisation
- Nama belakang: second name. Please use proper capitalisation. If the person only has one name, leave this blank
- Telepon: The mobile phone number. Enter this starting with 08, with no spaces or other punctuation.
Be very careful to get the phone number correct as it is used as the persons user name when accessing the system
- Email: If the user has a email address, they can use this as their user name to log on to the iSIKHNAS web site, and also use it to receive automated daily, weekly and monthly reports. Please enter this very carefully and double check that it is correct. If the user has no email address, either create a new email address for them, or leave it blank.
Important: NEVER use the same email address for more than a single user. This is a security risk and means that some users will not receive their reports.
- Kata sandi: The user's password. Please choose a good password.
- User's location: You should always enter the full details of the user's location, down to the village level for every user. For staff, this is the location of their office. For farmers or others, this is the location of their home or farm. To choose the location, first click on Provinsi and pick from the list. Then click on Kabupaten and pick from the list, and so on. The code for the location will be automatically displayed.
- User's area of responsibility: All users that submit data should have an area of responsibility, indicating the area from which they are authorised to submit data. This may be the province, the district, the subdistrict or the village. If the user has more than one areas of responsibility, choose the first in the spreadsheet and then edit the detail on-line. The code will be automatically displayed.
- Infrastruktur: All government users and many others will have associated infrastructure. This is the lab, Dinas office, checkpoint, abattoir etc that the person works at. Pick the type of infrastructure first, then the specific name from the next column. The code will be automatically displayed.
- Kelompok pengguna: The user group or user type. This determines what permissions the new user will have on the system. Please make sure this is correct. If a user has more than one group, enter the main group for the training, and then update the details on line afterwards.
Submitting the spreadsheet
Once all new users have been entered, save the Template spreadsheet again on your hard disk. You can then email it to iSIKHNAS.
- If you have an email client installed (like MS Outlook, Thunderbird or Eudora), you can send the spreadsheet from within MS Excel
- Click on the File tab
- Click Save and Send
- Click Send as Attachment
- A new email compose window will open with the spreadsheet already attached
- If you use a web-mail interface (e.g. Gmail)
- Open the mail interface in a web browser
- Create a new message (the link may be called 'Compose')
- Find the option to add an attachment (it may be a paperclip symbol and click Add
- Browse for the directory where you saved the Template spreadsheet
- Select the Template spreadsheet only (DO NOT send the Reference spreadsheet)
- Enter the address for the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The subject line can be blank
- The body of the email can be blank
- Send the message
You should then get a reply in a few moments indicating if the data was correctly submitted.
If there were errors in your spreadsheet, this will be noted in the reply. None of the data will be submitted until all the errors are fixed.
- Check the email that has been returned and read the message
- Open the attached spreadsheet. Any errors will be highlighted in yellow.
- Point to the yellow cell with your mouse, and a message explaining the error will pop up.
- Correct the problem, and send the spreadsheet again.
Once the data has been successfully submitted, all users will be immediately registered, on both the live and training systems, and will be able to start using the system for the training course or for real data submission.